Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cherry Blossom 10 miler and a new record

Sunday was the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler. It was lots of fun, a little chilly, and a lot crowded. There weren't a whole lot of Cherry Blossoms to see. Our freakishly warm weather the last few weeks and now cold weather have all plants in a WTF state.

5 am wake up call. Pretty excited to hit the Metro

View getting off the metro. We basically started right at the Monument

Start/Finish line
We walked with purpose to the first porta potty we could find. I read there would be 180 - which I was pretty sure I'd use them. I used the porta potty two times before the race. Pretty normal.

Lining up in our choral. Naturally I feel the need for the bathroom again

Holy cow there were SO many people.

First potty stop was at .2 miles. This is at 3 miles. 15 minute wait. ugh

I felt terrible waiting 15 minutes for the bathroom, but I had to. I had no idea when the next one would be.

As always Sam is super happy

Drum circle. It was awesome

Some times Sam pushed the pace

Sometimes I pushed the pace

The only group of Cherry Blossoms I saw

Beautiful flowers everywhere
At the end of the race my bathroom stops totaled 5. Who does that? That's my record for sure. Two before and three during the run. I really need to figure out how to fix that. I spent 22 minutes on bathroom stops during the race. Not what I want to be doing.

The race was great. The sun never came out and the water stops were plenty. Sam really liked the distance - nice that he did a 1/2 marathon (first time) and then the 10 miler (first time). My only complaint about the race was the post food stuff. We had to walk a while after finishing for the water. Normally it's shoved right in your face. We eventually found wrapped muffins - but we found no other food at all. We decided to just get to the metro and eat at home.

Classic ask the stranger to take our pic

Line for the metro. Went pretty fast. 
I think next year my 10 miler will be the Army 10 miler. I haven't done that one yet. I do love to run with military peeps - seriously motivating.

1 comment:

  1. What a great run. My brother-in-law lives out there and I have been wanting to do it for years. Great job!

    ReplyDelete