Monday, April 21, 2014

Fear of Success - Really?

Fear of Success - it's real. Promise. Google it. Why would someone be afraid of success? It's awesome. It feels good. For some reason I self-sabotage really well. I have a hard time with compliments and I find myself creating excuses for success - "I'm not sure I really did it right", "I'm sure so-and-so could have beat my time", "I'm not sure how I was able to do that at all"....... How hard would it be to say "Thank you. I put in a lot of extra work to make that happen"? I don't know why, but I'm going to try and figure it all out.

You know that phrase:



I have never done that. NEVER. At the end of a game, WOD, competition, etc. I have ALWAYS had regrets. I should have pushed harder, I should I rested less, I should have.....goes on and on (maybe even messing with my nutrition goals???) I actually convince myself that I need to keep some in the tank....what if I need it later? Later? What later? I have never felt unprepared. I'm typically over prepared - but for some reason I tend to choke when it's game time. I played lacrosse in college, then dabbled in road racing and triathlons, and now Crossfit - this is not a new thought process for me. Clearly it's not keeping me from The Olympics, The Games, or world domination. It's frustrating though. Fear of Success.

I've been caught using the word "Can't" a few times. I cannot tell you the %, but let's say 99% of the time I say that someone tells me "let's see what you can do" and then I can do it. Oops. Promise I'm not trying to get out of work. I honestly think I can't do it. Why did I think that? Who knows. I self defeat. My husband hates it. He honestly believes I can do anything. Anything.

I'd never use that word again! #fitness
Something I'm going to start doing


This whole subject came up last night and my husband instantly started Googeling "Fear of Success". See, it's real, it's on the internet. Tons of articles and websites dedicated to not being afraid came up - One really hit home (from www.tinybuddha.com):

1. Be Positive - I'm getting better, but this is hard for me. I tend to doom and gloom and then see the silver lining. I need to keep positive people around me, people that believe in me, people that believe in themselves too. I get sucked into drama, I get sucked into fixing others and worrying about other peoples actions. No more.

I hate being negative...it's pointless. Today I choose to find the good in my life and become the women God wants me to be so that his light shines through me to all the people I meet. I will find joy in The Lord and all I do today because positivity is a choice. I make that choice today :)

2. Remind yourself you are part of something bigger - I'm a control freak. Not everything is in my power (what?!) and that's ok. Things happen for a reason. I need to be able to say "Well, I did my part", take a deep breath, and move on. Being a part of something bigger means helping others too. Encouraging others is something I really like to do - makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Let the cheering begin!

Truth, u have to decide let something or someone stand in ur way... Or u let nothing stand in the way of ur happiness and love.

3. Figure out your purpose - Do you know what makes you happy? What are you passionate about? Make time for yourself - even ten minutes a day - this can make you happier, lower stress, improve health.....I'm pretty good at making time for myself. My husband is VERY supportive in this. I have family around, TONS of friends......you make time for what is important. I am important.

What makes a highly effective weight lifting software? Well, it’s don't assume all in relation to simply just weight lifting. http://the-big-picture-in-body-building.blogspot.jp/

4. Create a success library - Thanks to Pinterest and Instagram I have this already. Do I look at Pinterest much? Nope. Will I now? Yep. Instagram is a daily thing for me. I mostly follow fitness/crossfit/weight lifting peeps with a few fashion people thrown in. I also have a few posters around work and home so that I can see my goals, where I want to be, and where I've come from. I write everything down. I enjoy reading other peoples blogs and talking with others about their successes.

Tips to holding a handstand like a pro- Handstands are awesome for developing all round strength- Is my body straight? #CrossFit
Inspiration for sure

5. Learn - This is not SO scary. I do not pick WODs based on skills. I do WODs Mon-thursday no matter what they are. Friday and Saturday are off and Sunday is "work on the stuff you suck at". I sign up for competitions - even filled in on two that were terrifying, but I learned a TON and I'm still alive. Weird how that works. I set goals. I work hard. I try not to kill my husband when he is coaching me :)

I especially love this because the picture is actually from my gym! Yay Crossfit Resurrection!!!

6. Live in Balance - I hyper focus on things. When I get into something I go full speed ahead. This can be a blessing and a curse. I actually was told to take the week off recently to just be a mom and realize that my strength, abilities, and Crossfit will still be there when I come back. Guess what? They were. I went a week without juggling schedules, rushing from place to place, finding babysitters......it was nice. Glad to be back at it though.

Yes it is. - 849: The battle of your mind will be your biggest opponent #ReasonsToBeFit

So, here's to a positive and balanced life!!!! Time to do work and believe!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment