Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Superfit Delaware Recap and Awesomeness

 I love to compete. Always have. My mom is very competitive and growing up my siblings and I all played sports. I did the whole tap, jazz, and ballet thing for a while and then made the switch. In middle school I played volley ball and basketball. I'm beyond terrible at basketball - I'm a short white girl.....no surprises there. I lived in Texas at that time and got into cheer leading. The legit kind. Competitions, tumbling....serious. I mean, it's Texas - Football is life, cheer leading is part of that.

Halfway through 7th grade my family moved to Virginia. I quickly learned it was cooler to play sports. My mom signed me up for a field hockey and lacrosse summer camp and I loved it. I played both through high school and went on to play in college. I played both for two years of college and then made the choice to just play lacrosse my last two years. I even played on an adult lacrosse league for a while until I got pregnant with Sammy. I miss it. I miss the team aspect, the family feel, the daily practice, the games........sound familiar? Yep - then I found Crossfit. Ah. Home.

I get super nervous before competitions/games. You've probably read about my "nervous poo". It's real. It's annoying. It's totally part of the whole experience. I actually didn't realize it was a me thing and not an everyone thing until I started this blog.Oh well. That's my thing. There is not a porta potty around that I will say no to. Competitions/games give me something to work towards. I do much better with an end goal, a time line, and a bathroom.

Saturday was no different. I spent some serious time standing in bathroom lines - thank god they got shorter as the day went on. In a previous competition a workout was actually held for me because I was in the bathroom - oops. It wasn't so bad this time, but it's always there. I get really excited, really nervous, really pumped.......I am my own worst critic and I want to hit the goals I set. All that equals nervous poo.

I also love a theme. This competition rolled my love of going all out with my love of themes. We were Team America and we wore as many stars as we could. My team was awesome. AND Crossfit Annandale had 5 teams!!!! So many friends, so much support, so much fun.

Crossfit Annandale
Now for the workouts:

WOD 1: 8 minutes to row 1000 meters and each team mate worked up to a clean with 2 front squats. Points are all the weights added up....no pressure (where is that bathroom?). My clean max is 120# - so I was REALLY hoping to hit that and then MAYBE 125#. The boys were going heavy and knew they could hit big numbers. I knew if I could clean it then I could squat it. My partner was awesome at pushing me. I was going to start with 85# - but I'm pretty sure she convinced me to start at 105#. I ended up hitting 140#! I couldn't believe it! I was really close to 145#.....wow. So happy and proud of my team.


We finished WOD 1 ranked 3rd!!!!! Felt so good.This is sadly the only team pic we got.

WOD 2: Every Minute on the Minute for 10:00. 7 pull ups (the boys did them) and 7 hand release pushups (the girls did these) and then as many 65# snatches as you can for that minute. Then you start over. Whew. This was cardio city. We paced ourselves and everyone felt like we could not have gone any faster. It was tough. It was great. It was crossfit.



WOD 3: The great equalizer. This was the hardest mentally. 10 minute cap. 15-12-9 of backsquats (75# for girls) and toes to bar. I knew I needed to mow through those back squats because the toes to bar were going to take me longer. I don't string them together quickly and when you have your own private judge shit gets real. Don't worry, I'm working on them. I have a list. You know....my OTHER thing.

(no video. I know, super sad. Just know we were awesome!)

We finished the competition in 15th place out of 30. We were hoping for top 10, there were a ton of great teams there. Everyone had fun, there were tons of amazing people to watch, Crossfit Riverfront was awesome - and located next to a brewery. :) We also got TONS of outfit compliments - that's always fun.

We rewarded our hard work with meat, beers, shots, and I had a few gummy cherries. Yum! Mouth is watering just thinking about those delicious cherries.....

Now it's back on the Paleo Challenge, lots of mobility, and as always after a competition I can't wait to get back to the box and get to work!


Team America theme basically threw up on me. Wonder Woman shoes and all!




No comments:

Post a Comment