Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My Tribe





My last post was August 14th, the day before everything changed.

*I will not get into any specifics, that's not what this about*

August 14th was a Friday. I took the day off from the gym, I took the boys to the pool, we went out to celebrate my brother in laws birthday, it was a nice easy day. The next day, the 15th, we were going out with our besties to plan the meals for our upcoming beach trip. We did this every year and it helped us get hyped for the beach week. We LOVE this trip.

Sam got the first phone call while we were at the pool. We knew something was wrong with our friend and his wife was not answering her phone. We got dried off, went home to change, and planned on heading out to their house to check on everyone. Then the phone rang again. He didn't make it.

Devastation.

Fear.

Loss.

Sadness.

My in laws took the boys and we drove out to the hospital. We were in shock. Not much was said on that drive. We both needed 100% focus to get us there. We needed to be there for our friend. We made a few more phone calls on the drive, cried, and questioned everything.



Over the next few hours we rallied. None of us talked about it, we just knew what needed to be done. We knew how we all thought, felt, and that we all needed each other. Without much talk we moved in together for the week and lived, cried, laughed, remembered.




My Tribe. My family. My best friends.......some of us go back 23 years. We love each other like siblings and at this devastating time we came together like a well-oiled machine. We did it for our friend that lost her husband. We did it for each other. We did it for our children. We did it because that is what you do when everything changes. When one of your tribe is lost.


We continue to spend time together telling stories, remembering, laughing, crying, and being there for each other. It's hard. It will be hard for a long time. It's hard just to write this. So why am I? To remind myself that what I have is special. The people in my life are special. I keep them very close and our friend would be proud of how we came together. I hope that you have people like that. Keep them close. Tell them you love them.

My Mini Tribe



No comments:

Post a Comment