Monday, March 31, 2014

Burpees are always the problem......

The final workout. I KNEW it would be thrusters and burpees - they hadn't shown up yet and I'm not that lucky for burpees to not make an appearance.

14.5:
21-18-15-12-9-6-3 reps for time of:
65-lb. thrusters
Burpees




I didn't give the burpees much thought, they always suck - no matter what. I was worried about the thrusters getting heavy. So, I got my plan and started wrapping my brain around this hell. I wanted to finish under 20:00, no reason other than I didn't want to have to keep working after that. :) I also wanted needed to follow the plan. 100%.

Of course, these guys made it look like a walk in the park.


I'm not even sure Froning broke a sweat. I'm pretty sure he is a cyborg. 

I warmed up, put on my Oly shoes and my wrist wraps and got ready to die. My plan was to break the round of 21, 18, 15, and 12 into two sets so I didn't burn out my shoulders or my brain. Then I was going to do 9, 6, 3 unbroken. The burpee plan was to just keep moving. All sets unbroken, but steady. Active recovery. On a burpee. Right. I realized with my first burpee (don't worry, it was a no rep) that I had been practicing these all wrong. I typically do them in a WOD by skipping over the bar one foot at a time - get nervous I'm going to trip. Well, you play like you practice and that's what I did for burpee #1. No rep. I spent the rest of the 20 minutes over thinking "feet together. ready. jump!" It helped me keep a steady and SLOW pace, but I wanted to die. 

Shit got real during the round of 15's. It was never the thrusters. It's always the burpees. At one point I was laying on the ground and I thought "I'm an adult. I can do what I want. I'm going to lay here." Nope. I got up. I kept getting up. This was mentally the most difficult workout I've done in a while. I did not walk away from the bar. I did not spend time catching my breath.....I just kept moving. Not fast. But moving. I couldn't even talk during this. There were no words. My husband would cheer some encouraging thing and all I could do was look (ok, glare) at him. He tore his rotator cuff. He doesn't have to do this workout. He just doesn't understand my pain - dramatic enough? I did apologize for giving him the finger, ok BOTH fingers. I cannot be held responsible when burpees are paired with thrusters. 

So what now? Well, naturally I stay fit and ready in case a huge measles or chicken pox epidemic takes out the top 1000 ladies. Then I'm off to regionals! Otherwise I will be sitting here compiling my list of what I need to work on thanks to the ever watchful eye of The Open.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Open experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment