Monday, March 24, 2014

My 14.4 and a chat with Stacie Tovar

 Well, there you have it. 14.4. Row, Toes to Bar, wall balls, cleans, muscle ups. Whew. That's intense. I am not a professional rower (what?), but I have never rowed for calories. 60 calories? Not so bad. Right? Right guys? I found out it's a decent row....about 1000 meters. It took me 4 minutes. Not a sprint. At all. Get off the rower and go hang on the bar and throw your feet up. Tap that bar. Each. Time. I was VERY happy to only have 3 no reps on 50 toes to bar. My strategy was small sets. DO NOT FAIL. I needed to save my grip and not rip my hands. Success! I did sets of two and then quick sets of one. No hand ripping. Winning.

Now. Those wall balls. Ugh. I hate them. I need to learn to be ok with them, but now I just hate them. Those were mentally tough. I was tired. I wanted to stop. I wanted to just stand there. I wanted my wall ball to some how magically roll away and then I could just say "Well, I guess I'm done". The plan was to do a set of 12, 8, then 5's. I did all sets of 5 and then the last set was 2 then 3. It was hard. Breathing was hard. Arms were dead. Legs were burning.

My whole goal was to finish the cleans. All 30. 95# is not heavy for me - after everything else it's heavy - but I was not worried about my ability to lift it. I just needed to get there. I did singles and squeaked out 9 cleans. I wish I could have gotten a few more - but it would have been tough. I worked hard. I kept moving. I did not waste time (other than a moment taping my hand). It took me a day or two, but I'm very happy with my score of 159. I did play with a muscle up - disclaimer: I have NEVER even come close, this was just for fun!

Photo: 14.4 The Open can produce magic....but I did NOT get my first muscle up. Had fun trying
I really just like my socks. They rock. I'm pretty sure they loved flying through the air.

Today I am sore. My abs are dying (stupid toes to bar) - laughing hurts. A sneeze? Forget about it. I might die. My upper body is sore too. Feeling more and more comfortable with that score - no redoes for me this time.

Now. Our favorite white shorts wearing crossfitter. Stacie Tovar.




There are many many reasons I dig Stacie. First, she always has a smile and seems to be having a great time. She has a signature hairstyle - the side swoop. She has fun with it. I like that. She kills a pair of white shorts. That is pretty amazing - and don't worry, I will be purchasing this shirt when it comes out. Obvi




She is more than a side swoop and white shorts. Promise. She has been to The Games 5 times. That's some serious training, passion, and drive that she has and can execute. She is currently in 2nd place in the North Central Region and 14th Worldwide (when I hit submit on this old blog of mine). Stacie swears by journaling her workouts, food, and sleep (gets a solid 9 hours every night!). I wish I could say "I sat down with Stacie to chat......" but she is busy. She lives in Omaha, Nebraska. Oh, and it's The Open - she is all over the map! So we did this little interview over the computer. I was so stoked to get in touch with her.  Here it goes:

1. What do you like to do in your free time - Crossfit free?
I love to sit in the sun, hang at the lake in the summer, garden, and play with my dog Louden.

2. What is your ultimate comfort food?
My Granny J's homemade eats, or my Daddy's famous grilled steak, chicken in foil, farm grown sweet corn, and mashed potatoes!

3. Is there anything about The Games at The Ranch that you miss?
Not really :)

CrossFit Games 2008

4. What is the hardest Crossfit move for you to master?
The Snatch. Still trying to figure that one out.


5. First thing that went through your mind when you heard 14.1?
I remembered this one and it's a lung burner!


6. Do you and your husband workout together?
Yes!


Thanks Stacie and GOOD LUCK!!!!

I've tried the side swoop. It's not easy - she has clearly mastered this. We all know white shorts are not easy to pull off. Stacie has put in hard work and has zeroed in on her nutrition to make those shorts possible and drool worthy. I may have tried the swoop but I know better than to try white booty shorts. Yet. Maybe one day. :) 


Cracks me up. Every.Time.



This one is my favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment