Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ode to Burke Lake



Well, I've fallen in love with Burke Lake. What's not to love? Shade, fairly flat, lots to look at, always people running/walking. I've been running it once a week, but might be bumping it up to twice a week now that it's so hot even by 7am.

I popped 2 Shaklee Engergy Chews (thanks Al!) and I hit the trail. I only saw 3 other runners the whole route, which made me slightly nervous about my choice to run at 12:00 in the afternoon. I'm glad I went, but I had sweat pouring off of everywhere! I added a little to the run to make it closer to 5 miles (10:47 pace). Not too shabby for the heat and some weird right hip pain (have to keep on eye on that). It was pretty humid, the run is all in the shade (except one horrible straight away). I was so sweaty my band-aid actually fell off! Gross, I know. I did pick it up and put it in the trash.

I was pretty comfortable in my favorite running outfit (pic at the top). I was rocking (or at least I think so) the running skirt, Dri fit tank (a must for the sweat I produce), new sunglasses (Target $16), my fuel belt filled with Performance (thanks Al!), and my Ipod.

I have to say, I used to make fun of the running skirt, but now I LOVE them! They are super cute and since I've been blessed with chub rub I need to run in pants, capris, or spandex shorts. Spandex shorts, my husband nicely tells me, should not be worn on their own :) so the skirt over it is the best! I have 2, both nike, but I'm always looking for more. A great website I found today is www.runningskirts.com and http://www.teamestrogen.com/skirt-sports/product/c0-b100121.html

The Fuel belt: can't leave home without it. Especially in the summer time. I typically fill it with Performance, shaklee electrolyte drink, and it also holds my car key and cell phone. LOVE IT! The thing I'm trying to leave at home more: the Ipod. I'm reading everywhere that to really get into the run you need to be listening to your body. So, I'm leaving it or not turning it on more and more. The verdict? Not too bad, not nearly as scary as I thought it would be. My Nike Plus being a piece of crap is another reason I'm leaving it more. I can't wait to get a Garmin GPS watch. DREAM BIG!




1 comment:

  1. I really love Burke Lake too! I miss it. I used to run there almost everyday when we lived closer. We live in Ashburn now so it's kind of far to drive. It's a great place to run!

    ReplyDelete