Wednesday, July 28, 2010

To run or not to run......




Great Question!

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to the track workout tonight. My hip feels 90% better. I'm stretching it and taking Ibuprofen. The workout tonight is:

run 3-6 X (600 @ 10K pace, then "float"100 (ez jog), then run 200 all out) rest 3-5 mins or jog ez 400 between sets

Running that much for first run back might be a little too much. I do have a babysitter though.....tempting. I haven't run in a week......tempting. It's not 100 degrees outside.....tempting.

I might have to jog around some before I leave and make it a game time decision. I don't want to be laid up my first workout back with this sore hip. Although, I was thinking back to college days of playing lacrosse. A sore hip would have never kept me out of practice or a game. Most of us usually hid injuries to make sure we could play. Never once did I think about what I was doing to my body long-term, just that I wanted to play - and play hard. I do remember giving the injured a hard time - "suck it up" "get used to it" "you need to stretch/sleep/run/lift more". Now, I get a sore hip and not only did I take a week off, I went to the Dr, stretched, limped, complained......my season ending injury. :)

I have enjoyed my week off - even though I was sure I would die from lack of running. I rode the bike like crazy and stretched. I also spent a ton of time reading other peoples blogs - living through them.
We'll see what tonight brings!


2 comments:

  1. I would say if you 90% give it a little more time.. is it ITband or bursitis or what? Get back when your 100%. Right now your doing ALL the right things and one big one is resting! Keep up the good work.. it takes about 11 or so days for your fitness level to start to have a decent decline. When your 100% and pain free go for it. We are not in college and no coach over our shoulders saying " suck it up" you do this for fun and you enjoy it.. keep it that way! Take care- Liddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the doctor.....not IT band of Bursitis (whew!) She said it was just a strained muscle. Just gotta take the time. Thanks Liddy!

    ReplyDelete