Monday, March 19, 2012

Rock n Roll DC 1/2 Marathon.....1st time I ever......

Had to stop to use a porta potty? Nope. There are not many porta pottys that I haven't used.

Got chub rub? Nope. Get it so much my kids ask me after races if I got it.

Thought I might not finish? Nope. There have been a few races that I had the momentary thought of "this may not happen". (thankfully I've finished all I've started)

This 1/2 marathon was the first race (and I"ve done close to 40) that I've actually just had fun. Sounds silly, right? Typically I set a goal and if I don't meet it exactly I get pissy. I get down on myself, I get pouty, quiet, and decide "that sucked" or "epic fail". I've cried over race performances more times than I care to admit.


This race was about Sam. It was his first 1/2 marathon - and since it's my favorite race distance I really wanted him to like it. It was on St. Patrick's Day and we wore green, but once we got to the race and saw all the clever costumes and race gear we felt a little under dressed.

green socks were everywhere!
The race started like any other one - a huge line at the porta potty. We got to our race coral and then waited. It took about 30 minutes to get to the start line....there were SO many people. We knew we were staying together so we did not have a plan for meeting up if we got separated. BIG mistake.

At mile 2 I had to make a pit stop - no surprise there. There were some technical difficulties and miscommunications and Sam and I were separated. Never to see each other again until 15 minutes after I finished. It was crazy!

I hoped that Sam was in front of me and  I decided to just enjoy the view. This was my 6th half marathon. I knew what to expect and I also knew that I never really remembered anything about the race other than if I met my goal or not. I decided my goal was to have fun. I stopped and took pictures. I walked, I ran, I got lots of water, I enjoyed the music....


Instead of checking my Garmin every two steps I looked around and took it all in. I knew my time would be terrible - but I didn't care. Now, I've said that a million times. "I didn't care about the time..." - But I did. I would get home and cry to Sam about it. I am pretty competitive, which is why I like to race, but I need to learn to have fun too. I high-fived every kid I saw, I sang along with some of the music. I even stopped and got the beer that I've seen every year and have always been too set on a goal to grab.


It tasted so good. The carbonation was exactly what I needed. And I got to see Justin Bieber :)


I even made sure I had green Gu


I was moving along pretty slow. My quads hurt. At one point my walk might have been faster than my jog. Oops :)  I kept thinking about Sam and how I hoped he was having fun and that he loved it. I saw mile 12 and knew I was going to cross that line.


I finished and spent about 15 minutes looking for Sam. He had finished just ahead of me and had a great time! He met up with a girl and ran most of it with her. He said it was slow but he kept going. He really liked it and was very proud of himself! I am SO proud of him.

In two weeks we have the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. Goal? Show up with a dynamite outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment