Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why I got a coach this season

The last 2 weeks have been tough for scheduling, family, work, etc. Everything hasn't gone completely crazy - but it's been tough. After driving to and from Alabama I'm exhausted, we've had some daycare drama that left me emotionally exhausted, and Sam has been in Ca for work  (but gets home tonight!).


We decided to get a Tri coach this year. Not so much to get on the podium - but to make sure we can do the races we want to, do them well, and have fun doing it. Our coach is awesome! I sent him an email yesterday telling him I feel guilty about missing a few runs here and there and that I promised I'm trying. Having a coach that checks in on you and tells you what to do is great. I really didn't know what I was doing all last year - I had fun but ended up over training and that was NOT fun. I'm doing more now than ever and I feel great.

Well, Coach R got my email and promptly called me. He talked me off the ledge and now I feel better. He said he was proud of my work, this is base mileage, and it will all be ok. Phew!

My first race is the Nation's 1/2 Marathon March 26th. It's not my A race. I need to remember that. I want to make Sam and Coach R proud - but it's not my A race. I've never thought that way before. I ran every race last year as a possible PR. That's one way to burn out and over train.

NOT THIS YEAR!

I've got my sights set on a 1/2 mary PR in June and a 1/2 Ironman in Oct.

3 comments:

  1. Great way to look at it. Glad you've got a coach that is working well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly the same reason I got one as well! It's great having someone with so much knowledge acquaint to you for guidance and advice. Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Ann! It sounds like you have some great perspective.

    ReplyDelete