Thursday, August 12, 2010

I do not run, I am a Runner

Day 4 of my week of "follow the 1/2 marathon plan" exactly! I left the gym feeling like a total rock star! On the plan for today?

6 miles with 4 miles at a 8:58 pace

I did it! I really went in not sure if I could pull it off. I did my workout on the treadmill so I knew I was getting the pace right. I felt great! Like I could fly. That is my favorite part about running. Feeling strong, unstoppable.....fast (sometimes). I did have to chant a little to myself: I do not run, I am a runner! It really helps me. I even have it written on a piece of paper in my wallet. Nerdy, I know....but it really helps me.
Now, the woman on the treadmill next to me was slightly irritating. I think she fueled some of my fire. She got on the treadmill, fixed her hair, sent a few text messages, and then set her Iced Starbucks Coffee/Tea in the treadmill cup holder. I had to hold back the chuckle. She walked next to me - i know, i know...better than nothing - and fueled my run. I loved to punch in 6.7 and look at her 3.2 walk. Slightly evil, but I needed to get this workout done!


Now I'm home and ready for lunch. I did get some blisters on both feet today. That never happens. Boo! Not sure why that happened or what I'm going to do about it. Anyone a blister pro? I did pop them - I know, you aren't supposed to. I just couldn't help it.

Hope everyone is getting their plan done today!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm no blister pro, but I scored 6 of them on my 50k race. I let them sit for a day and it killed me. So I carefully popped them with a sterile safety pin. I've heard conflicting theories on popping vs. not popping. I used a band-aid as needed, but mostly to catch the junk that came out of them. I also soaked them in Epsom salts at night. After 4-5 days, they feel pretty good and are nearly healed. Just keep them clean and I think you'll do fine. And avoid them as much as you can next time. Shoes and socks are the big things to look at for causing blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pop my blisters. Luckily they are pretty rare for me. Chances are that on the treadmill you can to a small stop on each step because you're used to propelling yourself outside. And that small stop, caused you to slide more in your shoes. If you set the treadmill to 1% grade, that's supposed to mimic the outside. Maybe that will help for future runs.

    Are your socks the wicking kind? Good socks help me a lot, but I will still sometimes get blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my blog and take care of those blisters. Hate that!! I wear light runner's Smart Wool socks and have good luck with those.

    ReplyDelete