Thursday, March 3, 2011

I'm solar powered!

I have been running outside for the last week since it's been SOOOOOO nice out. You just can't beat a good run in the sun - especially when it's not 100 degrees outside. It's really nice right now too because all the spring sports are out practicing. The high school in my neighborhood has tennis, lacrosse, soccer, and track going on. So fun to see all those kids outside playing around. It is a little sad that I am twice the age of some of them (I don't at all feel like I'm as removed from high school as I am.....sigh)

So apparently I'm solar powered. I've been running some super speedy runs lately. Coach Rob did tell me to back off some. I have to listen. When he says EZ pace that's 11 min miles. When he says race pace that's around 9:30. Got it. I can do that. I will do that. But this week so far I have just been going. I'm averaging some quick paces and feeling good. Tired. But good.

I came home from my run yesterday to Mason asleep on the couch, Sammy playing video games, and Sam had home made pizza dough getting ready. What a nice scene to come home to.

I  have realized that I used to back off when my legs felt tired or my lungs burned. Thus, the 11 min mile that was every run. EVER. Now I'm mentally registering that when my legs are tired or my lungs burn it's because I'm working hard. It's a good thing. I'm pushing through it and maintaining it. I feel good about that. So often when it hurts I slow down or think "this run is going to suck". Now when it hurts I'm saying "let's keep it here for a mile" then sometimes I need to back off, sometimes not.

I hope this weather sticks around. The 1/2 Marathon is in 3 weeks. I'm pretty excited about it. Normally I get so anxious, nervous, worked up that I can hardly stand it. I feel super prepared. I'm ready!

I rode the bike last night after the boys went to sleep so that today is a real day off. Tonight is GIRLS NIGHT! Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE my girls nights. They are with a great group of friends that I've known for 15 years. Just doesn't get any better than that. Oh, and a margarita or two.

3 comments:

  1. I love your energy in this post - so light and happy and seems that all is going well for you!!! Keep up the great work! Love that you have that group of girlfriends to hang with tonihgt... our girlfriends really are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weather sounds awesome. I'm so jealous! We've had cold, windy, miserable weather here. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha!! Love this! Solar powered runner---I thinnk I will claim this and why I am low on energy in the winter!

    ReplyDelete